Potential Dangers

Google Maps location for Winmalee Vet Hospital

Winmalee Vet Hospital
Winmalee Village Centre, 14 Whitecross Road
Winmalee
NSW 2777

Show location on map

Phone:
02 4754 4333

Faulconbridge Vet Hospital
453 Great Western Hwy, access via Coomassie Ave
Faulconbridge
NSW 2776

Show location on map

Phone:
02 4751 6388

There are more dangers than those on this list but this is a good start.

 

Food and Plants

• Avocado flesh & pip

• Broccoli in large amounts

• Garlic

• Lilies (cats especially)

• Macadamia nuts

• Marijuana

• Green potatoes

• Raisins & grapes

• Rhubarb leaves

• Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Around the House

• Acetaminophen (Paracetamol-Panadol)-especially cats

• Alcohol

• Aromatherapy oils

• Aspirin

• Barbeque bones- watch after a BBQ especially in the rubbish bin

• Barbeque Skewers- don’t leave these lying around, especially with food attached

• Bleach-watch the bottom of the shower recess as cats like to drink from here

• Bones- cooked bones but any bone can be a potential danger

• Boric Acid (Ant Rid, insecticides)

• Cigarette, tobacco, cigars (pets love to eat these)

• Chocolate (dark and milk are the most dangerous)

• Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)

• Corn Cobs (can easily become stuck in the intestines)

• Condoms- from the rubbish bin especially

• Deodorants and deodorizers

• Detergent

• Disinfectants

• Dye

• Electrical cords- cats love these

• Fireplaces – uncovered, puppies and kittens are curious of these

• Furniture Polish

• Furniture- kittens can easily become jammed in a reclining chair

• Innersoles from shoes- dogs love to chew these up and they can easily cause a blockage

• Laxatives

• Meat tray liners

• Medication- any overdose of pet medication and even ingestion of human medication can cause problems

• Milk- human milk containing lactose can cause diarrhoea

• Mineral Spirits

• Mouldy foods

• Mothballs

• Nail Polish& Remover

• Needle and thread –cats love to swallow these

• Panadol/Paracetomol- especially cats

• Pear pips, the pips of plums, peaches & apricots, apple core pips- potentially poisonous as they can cause cyanide poisoning and can cause blockages/obstruction

• Phone cords

• Plastic cling wrap- cats love this

• Rat and Ant poison (including Ratsak)

• Ribbon

• Rubber bands –cats love these

• Shoe polish

• Socks- dogs love to eat these and they can cause a blockage

• Strings attached to food, toys- cats can swallow this

• Stockings

• Suntan Lotion (contains Zinc)

• Tampons- especially used tampons from the rubbish

• Toys –of any sort, these can easily be broken up and swallowed

• Yeast dough

• Zinc (in human sunscreens)

 

 

 

 

Outside

• Campfires- dogs often run through these

• Compost-contains moulds and is toxic if ingested

• Fishing hooks- dogs and cats will often swallow these due to their odour

• Paint – lead in old paint is poisonous

• Pear pips, the pips of plums, peaches & apricots, apple core pips- potentially poisonous as they can cause cyanide poisoning and can cause blockages/obstruction

• Ponds-especially uncovered, puppies and kittens are at risk of drowning

• Rat and Ant poison (including Ratsak)

• Snail/slug bait- even those deemed “pet safe”- these only contain a bitter tasting deterrent and are still poisonous

• Swimming pools-especially uncovered or those without steps, dogs and cats are at risk of drowning

• Tan bark- if swallowed can cause an obstruction

• Toilets- especially uncovered, kittens can easily drown

• Weed killer

• Wood-chewed up and swallowed can cause an obstruction

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Garden or Tool Shed, Garage

• Antifreeze- dogs love the taste

• Brake Fluid

• Fishing hooks- dogs and cats will often swallow these due to their odour

• Fungicides

• Herbicides

• Insecticides

• Lead – especially in old paint or paint flakes

• Metal Polish

• Paint – lead in old paint is poisonous

• Paint Remover

• Petrol

• Rat and Ant poison (including Ratsak)

• Snail/slug bait- even those deemed “pet safe”- these only contain a bitter tasting deterrent and are still poisonous

• Weed killer